Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Accomplishment

For three years, I have spent time doing special projects along with a week of each year participating in intense training to complete certification as a Public Library Manager. I think what I learned the most is a wider perspective of the library world in our State, coming to know other librarians in a personal way. Hearing their stories, seeing pictures of their libraries, and realizing their struggles helped me to see how much I have to be grateful for. So, first of all, studying with others is good for reminding us we're not unique or alone in this job of management.

I also have learned that leadership takes many forms. Sometimes, it's just being a listening ear or helping someone print. Leadership can also come in the form of direct suggestions or modeling. What is crucial is knowing how to adjust your form of leadership to meet the needs of those around you. Leadership can also be a lonely place, as not everyone wants to be close to a leader, whether they feel threatened, intimidated or just prefer to do things their own way. A leader learns to adjust to how people react as well.

Our library system is on a good path, as I've had the opportunity to analyze it during these past three years. We've come a long way, and I now see how we can serve as a model to many other libraries, because just like my experience at the Public Library Management Institute, our system is made up of large, medium and small libraries in a variety of locations, meeting the needs of a variety of communities. As we grow and change in meeting our patrons' needs, we can share what we're learning with others in our field. That's a great feeling and gives me a lot to look forward to for the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment