Monday, August 5, 2013

Every Librarian Has a Story

One of the great things about being in library management is being able to attend conferences and training events and meet other "like-minded" men and women -- ie. folks who love to read and helping people gain access to knowledge. This week up in the beautiful setting of Fall Creek Falls State Park, I've been able to meet some of these special people. I am actually sitting at the same table with Pamela, the Director of the Wartburg Public Library, in Wartburg, TN.

Pamela and I immediately found we had something in common -- her daughter, who worked at my library in Murfreesboro while she was attending university. It is a small world, even if we are just talking about Tennessee! It was wonderful to catch up on her daughter, who was beginning a new job as a teacher today. Mom was both excited and anxious for her eldest, so I'm sure it was hard for her to concentrate on our training today, as she wondered how her daughter was doing with her new job.

One thing most communities don't realize is that their librarians are not just librarians, and Pamela is no exception. While being the Director for only 2 years, I am sure most people come into her library just relating to her as "the librarian" and not realizing that she is so much more! She is a well-traveled woman, having spent 10 years in the Air Force and lived and visited many countries. Having met her husband overseas, she can even claim being married in Italian (with translation)! She's seen the world, which always enriches a person's work perspective and experience. She has also been a stay-at-home mom, raising three daughters and taught piano.

A woman with a story and dreams, and now she is helping others see their dreams fulfilled as they come to the public library for information and knowledge to help them grow. When asked what her biggest dreams are now, Pamela quickly says: "A new library," then adds, "but really the biggest need is to have a full-time assistant." She's been around the world, and now her focus is how to make the Wartburg Public Library the best for her community. Great story, Pamela...thanks for sharing!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience I am having this week. While I am gaining excellent work knowledge that will help with my career, I am also gaining something that could be argued to be more valuable. The value of friendship. As you mentioned, it is always a pleasant experience to be among like-minded folks and I will say that I now consider you a friend. I now feel like I can contact you for help whenever I need it and I hope you feel the same about me. Nice meeting you friend---don't be a stranger. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to keeping in touch! This has been a great place to be inspired and encouraged by so many people. Come visit anytime you're in Middle Tennessee!

      Delete