Wednesday, August 6, 2014

One big goal, one small step at a time

Productive self-evaluation is hard to accomplish, and when asked to do the same for one's organization, it is no easier -- mainly because part of looking at where we are at the present means that I'm partially responsible for our current position, and when looking at the future of where I want us to be, also means I have to take responsibility for getting us there. Both are hard to face, but I'll bite the bullet and try to muse on both.

Presently, I believe our library is moving in a positive direction. We have made some hard changes in the past two years, staff have learned that change is inevitable, and that it will continue to be part of our ongoing reality at our library. We have worked hard to nip gossip in the bud, learn to talk about what's bothering us and talk about issues. I'm not always the first person they come to as the Branch Librarian, but I do seem to eventually hear about issues and am able to address them before it gets too far out of hand. I am very pleased with the changes that have taken place in our Children's Area, and our staff there are much happier too.

Circulation staff have come a long way, and they are actually involved and looking forward to the implementation of our new holds system. We have been able to do some cross-training between Reference and Circ, and that has helped a great deal as well. There is more to do in Circulation, but we are moving in a positive direction.

Reference staff are quality employees, though they do not always handle change well. This is an area we have some major changes happening in for the future, so I am not pleased with how well they are prepared for this. It will require work.

My vision for the staff is that they would become pro-active owners of the vision of the library and see their role in making our library the best it can be to our patrons. This means that they will be willing to move from their comfort zones and try new things or be willing to help in areas that are not necessarily a part of their job assignment.

We are preparing to have a major paradigm shift in our library with the planning and implementation of a new strategic plan under the guidance of Sandra Nelson. The small step I would like from my staff is to see them engaged in the process and excited about what it will mean, not for them, but for our patrons and community. I am working in these weeks to share with them stories that help them see that they are part of something much bigger than themselves, empowering patrons to achieve greatness in a multitude of areas because of what we provide for them at our library. If I can get them to grasp this concept and get excited about it, I will be thrilled that I have accomplished something.

How will I know I've achieved this? I will see staff smiling more than frowning. I will see staff engaging with patrons. I will see staff interested in areas outside their work space. I will hear staff talking to one another about something exciting that happened with a patron instead of complaining about work or another colleague.

That's my dream...that's my hope...I know it's possible and will lead to great things!

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy your posts as well as your questions and comments during class. The approach of telling the stories to your staff will be a good step in the right direction with your upcoming change. Keep up the good work Carol and good luck.

    ReplyDelete