Monday, August 4, 2014

Staff Development Day Woes

When asked to muse about Staff Development Day, my mind naturally went back to the last few that I have participated in at our library. Historically, they have been a time when staff have worked on the strategic plan, played some "group" games, eaten together and been able to "be casual" without the patrons being around. Since I was not the one to plan this day, I wasn't responsible, so I got to hear staff moaning and groaning about one thing or another. I didn't blame the Director or HR Administrator for this, because there are some who will complain about everything. I did, however, try to take their comments to heart and give my input for future events.

I was especially encouraged when, I was able to coordinate this day in 2012 for our system. I used the opportunity to invite other libraries from the region to join us for a frontline conference. We used outside speakers and some good breakout sessions to not only learn from experts but from one another. It also enabled our staff to see how good they have it, as other librarians came into our building, ooh-ed and aah-ed at this or that and asked us how we did things. I think it is helpful for staff to interact with others to grow both in their professional skills but also to realize they have much to give and teach.

Two things were suggested in relation to Staff Development Day that are making me think:

1. Get staff input on what they would like to do for the day.

2. Reward and recognize.

Knowing some of the complaints I've heard in the past about Staff Day, I wonder about the validity of asking them for suggestions on what to do. However, just because one hears from the nay-sayers does not mean that other staff (or even the nay-sayers) do not have a positive contribution to make for the planning of future training events.

I have been working hard to be consistent in recognizing staff who get complements from patrons or do an excellent job at a certain project. Most of this is done through system-wide emails or our in-house newsletter. The challenge is finding a way to reward without leaving out. I would be very much up for suggestions on this one. We do give out door prizes and special gifts for staff, but actual recognition of specific individuals does not always come, though I see the value for morale and longevity.

All that said, I am looking forward to this year's Staff Development Day in our system, because we will have an excellent speaker that will be working with staff in regards to our new strategic plan. Knowing what she brings to the table, I'm excited to see how staff will respond as we move forward to a whole new level of engagement with the community.

Staff Development Day Woe -- No! Staff Development Day -- Way to Go!

2 comments:

  1. Thoughtful, concise and already planning on how use the ideas from today’s class, Carol is always thinking two-steps ahead. I was at the above mentioned Frontline conference and it was incredible with great speakers and demonstrations. Rewarding staff when compliments are given is a must, because without a happy staff, we would have a grumpy or nonexistent patron base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind remarks. It's a constant effort to remember to encourage and recognize!

      Delete